Sunday, August 11, 2013

A NEW Mixed Media Tutorial Video! {Featuring Dusty Attic & Tresors De Luxe Lace!}

Hi Everyone!  Today I'm so excited to share with you a video on a new mixed media canvas I made using lots of my Dusty Attic Chipboard, some gorgeous Tresors De Luxe laces (I love the way the intricate laces bring up texture on the canvas design!) and lots of just odds and ends from around my house!  I will admit I do not have a lot of mists etc. in my stash so you will see that I used some mists mixed with simple acrylic paints and even a small mister filled with some steeped black tea (a tip from Finn) that I used to give the canvas a vintage look.  Here are some closer looks (Scroll down to view the video).
 
I made the bloom in the corner from some simple satin ribbon!  I will share another tutorial on this in the future.  It's also fun to used household things like bottle caps, loose beads, bits of brass from old jeans and of course little bits of  Dusty Attic chipboard.
 
 I used some stencils and texture paste to create more texture relief on the background of the canvas.  I find the busier you make the embellishments and texture, the better the finished design turns out.

You can really use any color of embellishment when doing one of these style canvas's (blooms can be a color you  have in your stash that you never use!) because you end up covering it all with gesso.

Here I used one of my favorite Dusty Attic Scrolls (Scroll #1) and I layered cheesecloth underneath for extra texture.  I tried to show all the steps in the video without making it crazy long (it's about 20 minutes).....I edited out adding some of the embellies because I think you can only watch me for so long gluing on all the nic-nacs.  So grab yourself a cup of tea (or coffee) and relax and hopefully enjoy my little tutorial! :)

 
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.  I hope this has inspired you to try a mixed media canvas, it's messy but a lot of fun!  Here is a look in a nutshell at all the fun Dusty Attic goodies I used for this canvas...
 
Dusty Attic: Chicken Wire Panel, Scroll Border #1, Cogs #1, Jumbo Cogs, Vintage Keys, Wrought Iron Trim Set, Scalloped Circles, Nuts & Bolts, Dusty In Color (Dusty Pink, Pesto, Hot Chocolate), Hinge (not shown in photo), Dusty Roses (Claret, Caramel).

51 comments:

masterskay-schastya said...

Wonderful!..

alinak said...

Incredible talent you have.you have a great way of blending all the colors together.I loooooove watching how creative you get as you go along with your canvas!!....I wish I could learn how to make one of your projects.I have enjoyed and look forward to your Blog,to see what exciting project you have next.take care.Alina K. Battle Creek MI

Wilma Voermans said...

Super canvas and a great tutorial!!!

Cathi ONeill said...

Stunning canvas and awesome video! Gorgeous!!!

Dee in N.H. said...

Wow! Just gorgeous and the video was great too!

Tone M. said...

New elements and style, but still so obviously Yours ;) I love it. Beautiful

Mikaela said...

beautiful!!!!!!!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Great video, Gabi .. and such an amazing piece!

Ann Marie said...

Just stunning (as usual)! I'm attempting my first mixed media canvas and I hope it turns out half as beautiful as yours. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial.

Llama said...

Awesome!

Unknown said...

Awesome tutorial love the elements great job Gabi

Aline Fonseca said...

A-MA-ZING!!!
I don't have any other word for that!!

Anneke said...

This is very pretty. I love the colour you have used. Thank you for your vidio. Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

Wow,this is really gorgeous,I♥it,greetings Miranda

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh my gosh, what a lot of work! Thanks for sharing the creative process on this beautiful canvas. That lace is gorgeous! I love the text mask. I have a question--when you did the masking in the beginning, did you wait for it to dry before continuing?

Janene said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love it!!!!

Janene said...

Absolutely beautiful. Love it!

Romy said...

Oh my, I just can't stop looking at this amazing canvas! It's so so gorgeous! I truly love all the amazing details that you incorporated.

Lisa said...

WOW, absolutely stunning!! I love, love it!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial and the inspiration!!

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lizzyc said...

Wow I have sat here absolutely mesmerized just watching this masterpiece being created.. so beautiful, so many layers, depth and height added with different colors.. really really beautiful end result, thanks for sharing the video I did learn a lot about light and shading and just creating.. amazed how it all came together without you doing a rough copy first.. brilliant.. thanks so much!

Wings in Wonderland said...

There aren't even words to describe this! Stunning, Beautiful and gorgeous don't even begin to cover this one!!!!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Brilliant ... stunning .... absolutely fabulous ...... An amazing piece of work and a brilliant tutorial. Thank you x

Liddy said...

Stunningly beautiful, totally inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing and the video.

Maiko said...

Amazing!!!

Юлия said...

шикарная! тоже хочу попробовать такую технику. Уже и материалы прикупила :)

Isa said...

wonderful !!! Thank you by the tutorial, I´m fan of you .. I love your Blog Gabrielle. Hugsss from Spain !!!
Isa Lozano

Lynn said...

This is absolutely stunning Gaby! I love all the little elements you added and how you altered the background!! Just amazing! Now I'm off to watch the video..whohoooo! Hope your having an awesome day!

Bonnie said...

I am a huge fan of your work - really love your style but, this has truly inspired me to give mixed media a try. TFS :-)

Anonymous said...

Completely beautiful artwork!!
Thanks for giving us such a great glimpse
into your creation process;
It is so inspiring! Gorgeous results~

Elly said...

What a brilliant colour combination. Really stunning!! ♥

Unknown said...

Gabrielle, such a stunning video - I love doing canvases but you bring new meaning to the art! So grateful for you for sharing your talent and I sure have learned a lot watching this. Imagine I'll be watching quite a few times to pick up more hints. Thanks again.

Moogies said...

Amazing! Always enjoy your beautiful art.

Moogies said...

Amazing! I always enjoy your beautiful works of art. thanks for sharing!

Patricia SPI said...

Une fois de plus que de merveilles crées !! Bravo et quel talent !

Shelly said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you for the great video tut to go with it.

Mell Pell Mell said...

Tender and at the same time serious LO - I love it!)))

Unknown said...

Really fantastic!!!! And the video is great!!!!
Kinds regards from spain

amenas art library said...

What is your recipe for homemade texture medium? Love the homemade modge podge, and great idea for the tea in the mister. What am I missing with the ratio of acrylic in the mister? Thank you so much for your tutorials, their a life saver.

Unknown said...

I LOVEEEEEE making canvas's but never tried one liek this before..NOW guess what I want to do..THANK YOU for your inspiration XX

craftyb said...

OMGoodness - this is just beautiful! I am so glad to have found your beautiful creations!!x

Saba Musharrif said...

absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you for the detailed tutorial. Can't wait to try it out. :)
<3 it
xoxo

The Sugar Studio said...

If art is a form of theraphy then watching your videos sure does work.....! love all your mixed media projects and discovering new techniques. Please can I ask the design reference for the Crafters workshop stencil? I looked on their website but could not locate it. thesugarstudio@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

absolutely brethteking, gorgeous work!

Marie-Josee said...

Thank you so much for this amazing tutorial. I tried to scraplift a little bit but it was very hard. You can see my version here http://lascrapzonedemarie.blogspot.ca/

Tigrulya/Lena Alt said...

Super canvas!!! Thank you so much for great tutorial!!!
What are you thinking about my canvas? http://lena-papermagic.blogspot.ru/2013/10/blog-post_547.html :)

LitsArt said...

Just wow!

LitsArt said...

Just wow!

Bunchipp said...

Fantabulous!!! I want to try making these canvass art projects. If I have a question, how can I forward it to you? You have so inspired me. Thank you!!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Bunchipp, thanks for the kind comment! You are welcome to ask your questions here at my blog, all comments get sent to my email first so I will definitely see any questions ask and be happy to answer :)

Pedan_S said...

Очень красиво! Замечательный мастер-класс!

Anonymous said...

I love love love this canvas and am trying to create my first mixed media Canvas, I love the script stencil you used but can not find one simular any where. Can you tell me where your purchased this from?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails