Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Technique Tuesday with Bo Bunny! Felt Bloom Tutorial!!

 I recently got this really sweet photo of my 2 great nieces from my nephew and wanted to create a layout that feels as warm and cozy as those cute little knit hats the girls are wearing. So here are my tips/techniques for creating a soft and cozy page.

~ Use soft color palette (here I used a soft pink, grey and tan)
~ Decorating with soft fabric blooms (here I used Bo Bunny's crochetted blooms and made some felt roses ...see a brief tutorial below to make these)
~ Add textural fabric elements (here I used some burlap, and paper lace as well as some crochetted lace) to give the page a homespun feel.
~ Add buttons and machine stitching, it's a quick way to give a page a soft fabric look. And don't forget the little details like tying some kitchen twine through the button holes, it gives a nice finish to the flower centers.
 
Here are a few close-ups of my page... 

 
 
The cute chipboard piece above is a new one from Dusty Attic called Wattle Blossom and the chipboard piece across the bottom is from the Wrought Iron Border Set.
 
Along with the soft and pretty Bo Bunny blossoms I used on my page I also thought I'd play a bit with felt to make blooms.  I got my felt pieces very inexpensively at a local fabric store at 3 x 10"square pieces for a dollar!  And you can get loads of blooms out of one piece!  I used a paper technique with the felt and it worked really well, the felt almost holds itself together without the glue (but do use a little hot glue to secure it! lol)  Here are some steps to make them, these are SUPER-FAST!!


 
 
Supplies:
Patterned Paper - Powder Mountain Flakes
Cardstock - Tutu Double Dot
Noteworthy - Powder Mountain
Stickers - Powder Mountain
Buttons - Serenity, Welcome Home
Stamps - Midnight Frost
Flowers - Blush Dahlia, Blush Bouquet
 
 I hope you give the blooms a try! They are super easy to do, and really really fast!! 

20 comments:

Keren Tamir said...

Wow as always so beautiful. Love the branch and amazing flower tutorial great idea!!!! Just also wanted to wish you a merry Xmas and a happy new year in case I don't get to talk to u before

Nancy said...

So gorgeous! Such incredible detail! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial too!...Nancy :o)

Michelle said...

Lovely Layout! And thanks for the felt idea. Those pink flowers are beautiful! The textural elements are awesome. You really did an excellent job.

Lynn said...

Gabi, I just love looking at your layouts and projects. There are always so many fabulous details and tips. The photo of your nieces is so adorable and all the soft elements showcase it so beautifully.

Romy said...

Wow, your flowers are just gorgeous and their pink colour gives your lay-out such a nice unique touch. Gorgeous work as always :)

glorygirl said...

Cute, cute, CUTE!!! Love the felt with all the soft colors. So lovely!

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing a tutorial for those lovely pink flowers. This is a gorgeous page as always Gab.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Goodness! I love all the wonderful texture here: burlap, felt roses, pearls, doily...chipboard...Such a beautiful, beautiful layout. Thanks for the lovely tutorial!

Bev, said...

As ever your layout is simply gorgeous Gabi, and such adorable little girls!! The inspiration between Canada and Australia is incredible ... I have a sweet little pink felt rose completed on my desk!! You are right ... they are super easy!! Merry Christmas my dear, and thank-you for the year of delight and inspiration your blog has brought me. xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh how I love this! Love the soft colors and the flowers are so beautiful! Must give them a try. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Lizzyc said...

Such an adorable layout, and I love the rolled felt roses.. thanks for sharing how to make them!!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful layout, as always.

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness, I love that sweet photo, and this page is gorgeous!! I love what you did with the felt, awesome tutorial!!!

KellyCreates said...

This layout gives me the warm fuzzes! Love the felt flower tutorial! A gorgeous page!

Алексровер Анна said...

Great work and wonderful warm winter flowers!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Such a fabulous LO, Gabi!! Love your felt roses. I will have to give these a try! Thanks for the great tutorial!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Anne Pennington said...

Loving your embellishments and delicate colours - would love to see your work over at Another Freaking Scrappy Challenge ...

Bonjourscrap said...

Love the colors and the half pearls on the branch ! Another great layout...

Carole Wright said...

Oh Gabi these are gorjuss, this layout is soooo pretty.BFN

Unknown said...

Love your art, great flower tutorial!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails